Monday, February 28, 2011

The First "Problem"

I officially encountered my first "problem" last night.  I was too wiped out by that point to talk about it here, so now that it's morning and I'm awake (ha!) I'll go ahead and post it.

To put it simply:  rFactor and Linux aren't playing together very well.




This isn't really THAT big of a deal; after all, this is why I have the Windows partition.  But I was hoping for better results.  Admittedly, that isn't very realistic - it is a totally different OS after all.

The game installed without issue (I used rFactor Lite for the install), but when I launched it the activation dialog box was just a mess of code.  Turns out I had to install IE6 via Winetricks, and after that the page was able to display and I could put in my activation code.

Ubuntu recognized my Logitech DFP wheel + pedals without the use of extra software, but without force feedback and without separate pedals; the gas and brake wound up being on a combined Y axis which isn't that great for accuracy.  Still, I could worry about that later.

rFactor launched, I configured my settings, and took to the track.  A couple of things I immediately noticed:  a persistent shadow over the track, maybe 50ft in front of my car, moving with me.  The area immediately around my car was lit as normal, but the track ahead of that was darker as though a cloud was racing around the track ahead of me.  It was problematic as it made the track surface difficult to see.  The other issue, the grass on either side of the track was showing some graphical artifacts; not that you spend a lot of time looking at the grass while you're driving, but it WAS distracting.

There have been a number of things posted at WineHQ that I can try to improve things, but for now it's as I said before - not that big of a deal since I have the Windows partition.  I'll probably leave this alone for now and come back to it later.

No comments:

Post a Comment