Sunday, February 27, 2011

A long day's work

The day is winding down, and in between family commitments I've managed to get my computer to a pretty functional level. It took longer than I thought it would, but then I suppose that's just how it is when you're working on a computer.



On Ubuntu:

OS loaded, drivers loaded and working, LibreOffice installed. Set up user profiles for myself and my wife, and brought all of our data in. Got some useful applications installed via ninite, and also changed a few configuration items (auto-mount my NTFS storage partition, auto-connect to wireless, show a login dialog on startup). I still need to import my wife's bookmarks in Firefox and get a few extensions installed, need to do the same with Chrome under my profile. But aside from trying out a few games on the Linux side of things, it's nearly done.

On Windows:

Drivers installed, and loaded up my copy of Jedi Academy because my son wanted to do some multiplayer and just could not wait until tomorrow. Next priority is to get rFactor installed, get my logitech DFP wheel working, and give that a test.

I had been using Rivatuner to manually control the fan on the video card in the past because it didn't seem reliable enough to speed up on its own, and I would frequently have issues with it crashing from being too hot. I'll likely be running it again, we'll see.

The rFactor mod I'm most concerned with just came out with an update, so I was going to have to install that anyway - good timing.

I guess what's most interesting to me at the moment is that as I sit here typing this in Windows, it doesn't really "feel" right. I'm already starting to prefer the look and feel of Ubuntu. I had thought that perhaps I'd wind up using my Windows partition more just because that's what I'm used to, but right now I really don't think that's going to be an issue at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment